State Seal of Alaska
When Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867 the first Governor of the ‘District of Alaska’ designated an official seal that contained icebergs, northern lights, igloos and an Eskimo Native ice fishing. In 1910 the Official Seal was changed under direction of Governor Walter E. Clark to be more representative of the territory’s vast industrial and natural wealth. The artist of the redesign is unknown. The Seal became the official State Seal when Alaska joined the Union on January 3, 1959.
Look closely and you will see: Mountains (for the State’s natural beauty), a smelter (for mining), a train (the Alaska Railroad), a ship (sea transportation), trees (for lumber wealth), a farmer, his horse and three shocks of wheat (for agricultural abundance), a fish (fishing industry) and a seal (for the seal rookeries). The rays above the mountains represent the Northern Lights.
The actual seal is 2 1/8 inches in diameter and any reproduction may only be used with the permission of the Lt. Governor.
Alaska State Statue 44.09.017 allows for these medallions to be designated as Official State Medallions…their designs (front or back) may not be used for any other purpose.